Tuesday 1 May 2007

Waddesdon Manor

I will not be posting for a few days as I am spending 4 nights at my daughter Janie's home. The first day we will be having a family outing to Waddesdon Manor. After that we will be cat and rabbit sitting while Jane and her husband and Oliver are away. I will not say where she is going as I am sure she will be posting it on her blog. Hopefully we will get to make some visits while there also.

I have been to Waddesdon before so I already have some photos. Waddesdon is the British home of the Rothschild's. It was built between 1874 and 1889 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild to entertain his guests and display his vast collections. It is definitely not an English house but built in the style of a 16th-century French chateau. There is much to see in the grounds and the house is magnificent but somewhat 'over the top'. One gets the feeling that they did not know when to stop in adding to and filling up. One particular feature is it's vast wine cellars. Cellar upon cellar of wines stacked and stacked and all behind iron gates of course. The Rothchild's also own similar properties all around the world.













How's this for topiary.
Will be back soon.

7 comments:

Susan said...

Wow! What a delightful place to see and visit. Have a grand time.

Tracy said...

Have a wonderful time. It looks dreamy. Cat and rabbit sitting aren't so bad, either!

Unknown said...

What a lovely place. Y'all have the prettiest houses in England :)

Kim said...

Lurker here!! I love the new look of your blog. I enjoy visiting here, your pictures take me to England time and time again. So very lovely!

la bellina mammina said...

What gorgeous photos! Have a good trip!

Beach Girl said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this part of your world and the history of it.

Hope you have had a wonderful time!

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time!