Wednesday 21 September 2011

A Little Update

Putting the burglary and car theft saga behind us
We now have a replacement car and I would like to thank all those who have prayed and stood with us during this stressful time
dealing with the insurance company.
The outcome is that our local For*d dealer found us a car that is identical to our stolen one but with a few extras. Ours had 12,000 miles on the clock when stolen and the new one has 6,900. It also has larger alloy wheels (better road holding), privacy back windows, blue-tooth and voice recognition radio and is one month newer.
The dealer dropped the price considerably and the insurance company in the end settled on £100 less than we had to pay for the car. Prayers answered.

I also finished my spring cleaning this week that I started in January! That's as long as one does not include the kitchen cupboards! I am missing Vera, a German au-pair who was attending our house church while she was here last year. She came in and cleaned all my kitchen cupboards.

Life has been particularly busy recently with so many different events and continues to be so. I look at the thousands of photos on my computer that I have taken this summer and hope I will get to them all eventually.

It really is Autumn, the second series of Downton Abbey began on TV last Sunday. What a treat.



People often tell me that I am 'green fingered'
No such thing in my opinion
It's a matter of trial and error and hard work


The crab apples are plentiful this year as is all 'tree fruit' due to a warm spring and wet summer
I have been wishing that I had not given away all my jam and jelly making equipment. I used to make a delicious jelly with these




Still bringing roses indoors


An airship flying over the house
They are used for sightseeing trips over London
Remember seeing these in the sky during world war II.

In my next post we will go to Beer on the south Devon coast



19 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So glad you have a car that suits you!
I think we would all like the German au pair girl to hep us with orgnizing things.
The photo of your roses was especially lovely.

Pomona said...

I am glad that you have sorted your car out, and it all turned out so well. I think I could do with a Vera to help me out with my cupboards!

Pomona x

Marigold Jam said...

Glad you got the car sorted to your satisfaction. Have you tried crab apple cheese if you don't have jelly making things? I like it better and it's made in the same way except you sieve the pulp rather than put it through a jelly bag. Result is a delicious preserve obviously not clear like jelly but I think even more delicious.

Merisi said...

So good to read that that you were able to get a new car on reasonably good terms. May you experience nothing but joy with it!

Your garden shows all the hard work well, such a lovely paradise right at your front steps.

Can't wait to see what you went visiting in on the Devon coast,
best wishes,
Merisi

(I am considering applying for an au-pair-position in your church household!)

Elizabethd said...

I am so glad to hear that you have the new car now, and that it was a fairtly smooth transaction. As you say, prayers were answered!

Vee said...

Wonderful outcome on the car!

Oh do you really want to get back into the jelly making business? (I've never even wanted to start.) My grandmother used to make delicious spiced crabapples, but they went into the jars whole. Wonder if anyone does that anymore...

When I was a young woman, I loved to clean kitchen cupboards because I enjoyed dishes so much. Perhaps you can find a good, careful, gal who'd love to do the job for a song just to look at your dishes. ☺

Trisha said...

Hi Barbara,
So glad you got a car like the one you had. Glad all that's behind you, now. Your roses and crab apple tree are beautiful. My mom used to make crab apple jelly; it was so good. What a beautiful Fall we are having here, as well.
Have a Blessed day.

Arlene said...

Glad you got the car sorted, and hope it will soon be all in the past for you, and move forward.
Your pics are fantastic, I've had a few holiday down that area, but no pictures half as good as yours, they're a real treat.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Barbara, wondeful news about the car. And maybe you could get some canning supplies at the thrift?
Or borrow? Crabapple jelly would be wonderful through the winter.
I wish we got Downtown Abbey here.
I've seen the first few episodes that were available to rent. An amazing show and would really suit my mood tonight. Or any night!
xx
julie

Camille said...

Praise the Lord for your answered prayers!
The crabapple is beautiful. Such a pretty color. I bought new jelly jars about a year ago and they are still sitting in the cabinet.
Looking forward to more posts ~

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I am so glad to hear that the car has been replaced and the insurance did good by you too. That is a relief. I know we must all have a car. I was without one for 3 months and am relieved that I now have another. Fall is really here for us. Colder temps rain and less sunshine all around. I'll be looking forward to the next set of pictures.

a woman who is said...

Oh I am so glad to hear the car situation all worked out!!! Now if someone would bless you with a cupboard clean out =)

I am enjoying fall this year too. Your roses are lovely. It is amazing how much we enjoy that last flush!

Looking forward to more photos of your summer.

Midwest to Midlands said...

Glad to hear your car saga is behind you and you have wheels to drive. I love Beer so will look forward to your next post.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

God is good to us, is He not! That is wonderful about the car. Look at all that fruit on your crabapple tree! What will you do with them all?

We see blimps (airships) here as well, touring above Los Angeles. Sometimes we see them at night, all lit up with advertisements for this or that. I've always thought it would be fun to try sometime...but must save up my pennies...it's very expensive!

nikkipolani said...

Your roses are lovely -- how wonderful that you still have bouquets. I'm glad the car stuff has been ironed out. Can't have been an easy time of it, but it's great to know many prayers were answered. We are having a cool weekend here (well, cooler than it will be next week) so I'm looking forward to tidying up after my poor neglected garden.

c. Joy said...

I started watching "Downton Abbey" last night, saw the first two episodes (meant to watch just one episode at a time - but got caught up in it - husband away at a football game - now I'm concerned this show could be too much fun). Have a great week.

Lori Zehr said...

Beautiful fruit!

Lori Zehr said...

PS to my other comment: I too have a huge row of crabapples on my property and hope to make jelly. My mom used to make this kind and it was very good.

A rootdigger said...

I visited back. Thanks for coming by.
I say, your picturess are really lovely.
The place you commented was a bad translation from a german book, about a particular place in germany. Only some of them might be related. I still have to determine who and how much. Now somewhere in there I did have A Schenk family who did go to England first. I might be able to find out where, but I doubt it. They were only there for about three years, I think.

I am sure they appreciated the beauty just not sure where or what they did while there.
Actually my other blog connected through there - http://arootdiggers sunny sideblogspot.com/ is where I have my personal stuff, garden, opinions, design star blogs, etc.