Thursday 8 January 2015

Kingston Lacy, Dorset (Part 1)

Happy New Year to all
I think it is time to get back to some serious blogging.
We visited Kingston Lacy in June 2013 and I can't believe I have had this post on the back burner for so long!
There are 96 photos to post (even after whittling them right down) so will do this house in 3 parts!

The house set in 8,500 acres of gardens and parkland

A lavish family home built to resemble an Italian Palace. An art lover's dream with rooms teeming with paintings by Rubens, Van Dyck, Titian and Brueghel.


We arrive at the Stables and of course it is first things first - time for coffee

We choose inside in the converted stalls

Walking first through the old laundry and sewing room 




as we make our way through the hall


and spectacular marble stairways 


and through the libraries 






and through the various living rooms 


photographs of Queen Mary and King Edward 7th



Van Dyke paintings




into the Dining Room with Pipe Organ


Dining room set for an Edwardian dinner





Painting of The Judgement of Solomon 


and table setting


Lazy Susan (how food is sent up from the kitchens)




Reubens


Will continue our visit in the next post


14 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

That is a beautiful setting, judging by your first photo. So interesting to see the laundry room and those racks that pull up to the ceiling for drying. Of course, the library is my favorite. And, my goodness, a pipe organ in the dining room! Don't think I'd enjoy listening to that while dining! Pipe organs have their place, of course but it seems their loudness and bombastic style would not aid digestion. I wonder if it was always the dining room.

Terri said...

A beautiful house. So while I'm gawking I'm realizing the reason they have such nice things is they accumulate from one generation to the next. Each generation adds something - or not, but that's how there is all this loveliness in one place. And my kids call me a hoarder...LOL.
Thanks for sharing your pictures, Barbara. Love your blog.
Hugs

Elizabethd said...

I think I would need a week there, at least. Such a lovely property. I went with my daughter about 30 years ago!

bristowmom said...

In the states we call your lazy Susan a dumb waiter.

I wonder, with all of the beautiful estates you have toured, if you have a favorite?

Deanna said...

Wonderful to see inside the Palace. I like the way some of the paintings are hung connected to a rod.

Blessings to you,
d

Vee said...

It's a beautiful home with lots of clever ideas for decorating. A pipe organ in the dining room is quite amazing!

Gracie Saylor said...

Although this is a grand house, it seems to be a loved home to me...a place a family could enjoy being together. Thanks for all the good photos, Barbara. I look forward to your next installment :-)

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Wowser that is beautiful.

Lorrie said...

What an over the top palace! An organ in the dining room would really be something.

Linda P said...

The vast grounds must be as enjoyable to wander around as the grand house. The laundry and sewing rooms with the different equipment are interesting and a complete contrast to the elaborate style of the upstairs rooms.

nikkipolani said...

Oh, what a cozy cozy library. I think I'd have a hard time prying myself from those chairs. It's a shame to have the house uninhabited, but so nice you and others can visit and enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Looks great, have not been to this one. Jane

La Petite Gallery said...

Hello Barbara, hope this comment finds you warm. Maine is having a wicked cold time of it. This post is so interesting.
Did they turn the paddocks into a cafe? Love some of the furniture. Those Knife boxes are awesome.Thanks for this wonderful tour. yvonne

Sandra said...

I like all the pictures, in special the one with the sewing machines!

Sandra